The eyes are a vulnerable part of the body that needs to be protected when you are doing potentially dangerous work. Fortunately, there is protective eyewear suited for every situation, from working with chemicals to doing machinery and yard work. The goal of this article is to introduce you to the best eye protection available.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Eye Protection of 2021
- 3M Virtua Protective Eyewear, Clear Frame, Clear Anti-Fog Lens
- MCR Safety Chemical Safety Goggles, Clear Lens
- KleenGuard V30 Nemesis Safety Glasses, Black Frame, Smoke Lens
Criteria for Choosing the Best Eye Protection
Although there are different types of safety glasses and goggles, the ultimate goal is the same. Therefore, they share some similarities that need to be present to provide proper protection. The following are the reasons that the eye protection on this list was chosen over others:
- Impact Resistance: Although impact is not the only thing that matters, especially if you are working with chemicals, it is a vital concern when it comes to safety glasses and goggles. Therefore, only eye protection with good impact resistance was chosen.
- Fit: Fit is another important aspect when it comes to eye protection. Eye protection, whether it be safety glasses or sealed goggles, needs to stay on and not shift to provide proper protection. While this does not mean rubber grips are required, every option on this list has the ability to stay on when needed.
- Durability: While most of the safety glasses and goggles on the list are not meant to last forever, they might need to survive some rough activities. Therefore, it is important that they hold up, and that includes everything from the lenses to the frames and elastic bands.
There is more that was considered as well, including the field of view allowed by the eye protection. Moreover, things like being able to prevent fog and scratches are equally important, depending on when they will be worn.
The 9 of Best Eye Protections of 2021
There are various choices when it comes to eye protection, and they are suited for different tasks. If you are working with machinery or doing yard work, safety glasses will likely be enough. However, for chemicals and things like gasoline, you will want sealed goggles. Below are various types of protection to provide options for all situations.
The 3M protective eyewear featured here is an economical choice that does not skimp on protection. They start with a wide viewing area that ensures that the wearer always knows what is going on around them. The wide viewing area is then paired with wraparound shielding that works to completely protect the eyes.
This protective eyewear is also meant to be comfortable, having a contoured temple fit that keeps them snug without them being too tight. They are also impact-resistant and absorb 99.99% of UV rays. They are meant for a variety of potentially dangerous activities, including things like chipping, machining, masonry, and sawing.
- They are an affordable choice that does not sacrifice performance
- They are lightweight and comfortable
- The design provides protection without obstructing your field of vision
- They are impact-resistant
- They do not fog up
- They are not as sturdy as some options
These safety goggles are another example of eye protection that aims to provide ample protection while not reducing your field of vision. They are also designed to fit snugly against your face and give as much protection as possible, which is particularly useful when you are dealing with splashing and impact.
These goggles can be worn while using a half-mask respirator, and they give you enough space to wear glasses beneath them. Moreover, they have indirect ventilation to help with fogging. Additionally, since the body of the goggles is made from PVC, they are durable and reliable, resisting impact and damage.
- They provide protection without reducing your field of vision
- They fit snugly to the face but provide enough room for glasses
- They are great at protecting against splashes and impact
- There is indirect ventilation built into the goggles
- The PVC material is durable
- They have a tendency to become foggy
- They are not the most comfortable choice
The design of these safety glasses is sleek and flexible, and there is an emphasis on comfort, which includes soft-touch temples. They are even lightweight, making them an ideal choice for all-day wear. The nose piece is a unique feature as well, providing flexibility, preventing slippage, and blocking sweat.
As far as the lenses are concerned, they are scratch-resistant, and they provide UVA, UVB, and UVC protection. The lenses make them great for outdoor use, and the protection allows you to use them for a number of tasks. Moreover, they come with a neck cord and are available at a great price.
- They are incredibly flexible and durable
- The soft touch temples make them comfortable
- The nose piece keeps sweat away and prevents slippage
- They provide protection against UVA, UVB, and UVC
- The lenses are scratch-resistant
- The lenses are not as durable as the frames
Uvex also makes a great pair of safety goggles that provide a lot of eye protection, and they are especially effective against impacts and splashes. These goggles also have a special coating that prevents fog, scratches, static, and UV from being a problem. Moreover, the design is more comfortable than traditional safety goggles.
While these goggles are great for protection, the design also makes them easy to wear for long periods without you having to worry about loosening. You can even get prescription inserts if you need to. Everything else aside, they are high-quality goggles, and the polypropylene material used is durable.
- They are effective against splashes and impact
- The coating prevents an array of common issues
- The design is comfortable compared to other safety goggles
- There are prescription inserts available
- The material is durable
- They are not designed for wear with glasses
- There might still be some fogging
This eye protection from Uvex is also worth talking about. With these safety glasses, you can protect yourself from the sun, wind, and airborne debris. They even work great against the sun. Moreover, they have a design that is customizable, allowing you to wear them as normal wraparound safety glasses or as sealed glasses.
These safety glasses are also meant to be comfortable, utilizing cushioned subframes and padded temple tips, among other things. Meanwhile, the lenses are anti-scratch and provide reliable UV protection. There is even a coating to prevent fogging. The flame-resistant and latex-free components also make them usable in many situations.
- They provide protection from a variety of things
- They can be customized as wraparound or sealed glasses
- There are various components that keep them comfortable
- The lenses are anti-scratch and coated to prevent fogging
- They are not the most durable choice
- They do not excel as either wraparound or sealed safety glasses
The eyewear featured here is another great protective piece from 3M. These glasses have a classic wraparound style, but they also have a seal that includes comfortable cushioning while offering extra protection against dust exposure. You can even choose to remove the foam-lined gasket that seals the eyewear if necessary.
The lenses are impressive as well, offering enough protection to keep your eyes safe. They also have an anti-fog coating to keep your vision clear. While these glasses do not come with earplugs, they are designed to keep corded earplugs in place and untangled. Additionally, they protect you against UV light.
- The foam-lined gasket adds comfort and protection
- They work great at preventing dust exposure
- The lenses have an anti-fog coating
- They have a system to keep earplugs untangled and attached
- The foam-lined gasket can reduce your field of view
When it comes to protective eyewear, 3M stands out, and the goggles featured here are a high-end option that is highly effective against splashes. They are even recommended for use with gas and oil. Moreover, these goggles include a Scotchgard coating that prevents fogging and allows you to see. The coating even lasts through disinfection.
The durable coating allows the anti-fog property to last for a minimum of 25 washes, but they can last much longer due to their durability. Additionally, they are great for hot and humid conditions, working both indoors and outdoors due to their design and indirect ventilation.
- They are highly effective against splashing
- They are recommended for use with gas and oil
- The Scotchgard coating prevents fogging
- They can be disinfected a minimum of 25 times before losing the coating
- They are bulky and do not work well with glasses
If you are looking for a pair of safety glasses that are ready for a hard day’s work, then you do not have to look any further. The eye protection featured here has lenses that do not scratch easily. Plus, they protect your eyes from UV rays. They are even tinted, making them the ideal pair of safety glasses for a bright day.
The lenses are not the only impressive part of these glasses, with the frame being just as tough and durable. Not only are the frames sturdy, but they bend and flex to extremes without breaking. There are even non-slip rubber pieces for the nose and temples to resist sweat and offer some comfort.
- The lenses are durable and scratch-resistant
- The smoke lenses make them a great choice for bright days
- They can be bent without breaking
- The rubber pieces prevent the glasses from slipping
- They might not be as suitable for dark environments
Another tough pair of safety eyewear with smoke lenses comes from Smith & Wesson. One of the things that makes this protective eyewear stand out is its appearance, which is more stylish than most. However, there is more going for these glasses than that. In fact, they are crafted carefully to be durable and provide a wide field of vision.
Although they are durable, these glasses are also lightweight. Moreover, they have wide temples, which improves overall stability while giving more room. That being said, the important part is how effective they are at protecting your eyes, and they excel there. These glasses are impact-resistant and are designed to provide ample coverage.
- They are a stylish option for eye protection
- The smoke lenses are impact-resistant and anti-fog
- They provide a wide range of vision
- The wide temples improve structural integrity
- They will not work well in dim areas
- They are not the most comfortable option
- The features are lacking for the price
How to Shop for a Best Eye Protection
Since there are different choices for eye protection that depend on what they are being used for, you need to shop with the purpose in mind. You should consider the following things when you are shopping for eye protection:
- Purpose: Are they meant to protect you from impact and debris, or are you working around something that could splash into your eyes? Safety glasses are great for impact and general use, but they do not work well against splashes. Sealed goggles, on the other hand, are meant to protect against splashes.
- Lighting: Some of the choices you will find have tinted lenses, and they are great for bright environments. However, if you use the same eye protection when it is dim or dark, it could have a negative impact. Do not be afraid to buy pairs for different times.
- Fit: Eye protection comes in different sizes, with the width impacting how well they will fit. Try to find a pair of safety glasses or goggles that fit comfortably. Not only will that ensure that you receive proper protection, but it will make wearing them less irritating.
You should also consider the specific impact rating if you do something that requires that consideration. Additionally, if you wear prescription glasses, there are fewer options, and you will have to be more selective.
Protecting your eyes is vital when you are doing work that could put them at risk. Furthermore, it is not difficult to do with all of the eye protection options available. Just make sure that you pick eye protection that will perform where you need it to.