When you want to make sure something stays in place, the tape can be a very useful tool. Mounting tape takes things a step further by having adhesive on both sides, making it a perfect tool when you want to stick two surfaces together. The goal of this article is to introduce you to some of the best mounting tapes out there.
If you’re in a hurry, here are our top 3 quick picks for the Best Mounting Tape of 2021
- Scotch Permanent High-Density Foam Mounting Tape
- Gorilla Glue Gorilla Tough & Clear Mounting Squares
- Command Picture Hanging Strips
Criteria for Choosing the Best Mounting Tape
The mounting tape itself is a rather simple thing, with the main property being the two adhesive sides. However, there are things that make certain mounting tape stand out from the competitors. Here are some of the things that were considered when choosing the mounting tape for this list:
- Ease of Use: While it might be a simple tool, not every type of mounting tape is easy to use. In fact, certain mounting tapes can be difficult to apply correctly or downright ineffective because of their design. Therefore, things like how easy it is to prep and apply were considered for the mounting tape on this list.
- Longevity: Some mounting tape is meant to be permanent, which means it will last a long time. On the other hand, there are mounting tapes that are meant for temporary use. However, no matter the type of mounting tape, it needs to be able to last, keeping the two surfaces together for as long as possible.
- Load Capacity: Not every tape has to hold a lot of weight, but it needs to be able to deliver on what it promises. Moreover, a variety of different tapes was chosen for the list, both those meant for light objects and those for heavy ones. The goal was to include a little of everything.
There are other things that were considered, such as making sure to have both indoor and outdoor tape on the list, including tape that is weather-resistant. Multiple forms of tape were also prioritized to give a variety of options.
The 8 of Best Mounting Tapes of 2021
Mounting tape is not limited to a basic roll, where you have to size and cut it yourself. In fact, there are numerous different types of tape out there, including things like squares, circles, and strips. Down below, you will find a myriad of options, allowing you to see what is out there and make the best choice for your mounting tape needs.
Scotch is a trusted brand that makes a variety of high-quality tapes, including mounting tape. In fact, they are so good that Scotch earned multiple places on this list, with the first mounting tape from them being this high-density foam mounting tape meant for permanent use. It is a versatile, double-sided tape that is easy to use and long-lasting.
Like any good mounting tape, this Scotch product is non-damaging, and it works great on numerous surfaces. It can also hold up to 15 pounds, which means you should have no problem with a majority of projects. As for dimensions, the 1-inch width allows it to work with small items, while the 125 inches of length gives you plenty of tapes to use.
- It can hold up to 15 pounds
- It is double-sided and easy to use
- It is a permanent solution that will last
- It does not damage surfaces
- The width allows you to use it in a variety of places
- It is only meant for indoor use
- It tends to leave residue when removed
Another name that cannot be left out when talking about high-quality adhesives is Gorilla Glue. Their incredibly tough mounting squares are just another great product from them, with this double-sided tape providing a long-lasting and reliable bond. The bond can even hold up to seven pounds, so there are plenty of potential applications.
These mounting squares are weatherproof as well, so you can use them indoors and outdoors. Moreover, due to the UV-resistant backing and overall resistance to the elements, they will stay strong in most environments. You can even use them on both round and smooth surfaces, with the pre-cut squares working on a variety of surfaces.
- The adhesive is strong and long-lasting
- They can hold up to seven pounds
- They are weatherproof and have a UV-resistant backing
- The design allows them to be used on smooth and found surfaces
- They are pricier than traditional rolls of tape
- The pre-cut squares limit where you can use it
The command makes the mounting tape in the form of pre-cut strips, which are great when you want to hang something but do not want to deal with the hassle of cutting equally-sized pieces of tape. Plus, they are designed with convenience in mind, starting with how easy they are to use and how they come off of the wall without leaving a sticky residue.
Command strips are also non-damaging to the many surfaces they work on, which is one of the things that the brand takes pride in. The strips featured here are 0.63 x 1.81 inches, which makes them ideal for pictures and other small items. Of course, the weight capacity is also meant for smaller objects, only holding up to four pounds.
- They are pre-cut and easy to install
- They do not cause damage or leave residue
- They work on a variety of surfaces
- The size makes them ideal for smaller objects
- They do not hold that much weight
- The adhesive is not as powerful as permanent tapes
Scotch returns to the list with a versatile option meant for small projects. This mounting tape is even weather-resistant, so it can be used in any environment, with it being especially suited for exterior use. The reason for this is that it works just as well on surfaces like stucco and brick, meaning you can use it almost anywhere.
This conformable mounting tape is meant to be permanent as well, so it is certain to last for a long time. You also get a lot of tapes, with the roll featured here having 450 inches of 1-inch wide tape. So, if you are looking for a mounting tape that is suitable for small projects, both indoors and out, choosing this Scotch tape is a great idea.
- It is weather-resistant, so it works both indoors and outdoors
- The tape sticks well to many surfaces, including stucco and brick
- It lasts a long time as permanent tape
- The roll has 450 inches of tape
- It does not hold much weight
The last Scotch tape featured on this list is for when you want to tackle a project with heavy-duty tape requirements. The permanent adhesive used on this mounting tape is capable of holding an item of up to 30 pounds. Plus, it is weather-resistant, so you can expect it to last a long time, no matter whether you use it indoors or outdoors.
The width of this mounting tape is the same standard size as most of the tape featured on this list, being 1-inch wide. Moreover, there are 60 inches of tape on this roll. If you want to hold 30 pounds, you should expect to use the entire roll. Otherwise, you can use around two inches per pound, which demonstrates this tape’s strength.
- It holds up to 30 pounds
- It is weather-resistant and works both indoors and outdoors
- The width is standard and great for small items
- Every two inches of tape can hold a pound of weight
- The price-to-tape ratio is on the lower end
Gorilla Glue is another big name when it comes to high-quality mounting tape that can hold a lot of weight. In fact, the heavy-duty mounting tape that is featured here can also hold a total of 30 pounds with 60 inches of tape. Therefore, if you want to hold something heavy, you can trust this tape, with it needing only two inches per pound.
This mounting tape is also built to last, being a permanent tape solution for things you want to put up for the long haul. It is also weatherproof, so it will work indoors or out, even sticking well to surfaces like stone and brick. There is even a UV-resistant backing to provide some extra protection.
- It can hold up to 30 pounds
- Every two inches of tape supports a pound of weight
- It is weatherproof and has a UV-resistant backing
- It works indoors and outdoors
- It leaves a residue when removed
- The price per inch of tape is on the higher end
VELCRO enters the list with a unique offering, which is similar to the mounting squares featured earlier. Only, these pre-cut pieces of mounting tape come in the form of small circles. In fact, there are 195 5/8-inch mounting tape circles per pack. This mounting tape is great for dealing with multiple small items, such as posters and paper.
When considering these VELCRO mounting tape circles, make sure to think about weight. These circles do not hold much weight, even when you use multiple of them. However, there are few choices that are as convenient for small projects, especially since these low-profile circles do not damage surfaces and can be removed easily.
- They are small and low-profile
- They are pre-cut and easy to use
- They can be used inside or outside
- They are easy to remove and do not leave residue
- They do not hold much weight
- They are a bit expensive for what they are
Duck brings the final mounting tape featured on this list, and it is a terrific choice for those looking for something economical. This mounting tape offers 36 yards of sticky, double-sided mounting tape for a great price. That is a total of nearly 1300 inches of coverage. Moreover, this 0.75-inch wide tape can be used on small objects.
The one thing that stops this mounting tape from being as good of a choice as some of those above is the amount of weight it can hold. It does not hold much weight and is meant for use with lightweight objects or crafts. Fortunately, it is usable on many different surfaces, making it a solid choice for those looking for something inexpensive.
- It offers a lot of tape for the price
- The width makes it perfect for small objects
- It works with most surfaces
- It does not hold much weight at all
- It can be difficult to work with
- It leaves a sticky residue that is troublesome to remove
How to Shop for a Best Mounting Tape
There are a lot of mounting tape options, with the choices on this list only revealing the tip of the iceberg. However, it does not have to be difficult to make a choice. In fact, you can easily narrow down your options if you consider a few things, such as:
- Location: Are you using the tape indoors or outdoors? Only certain tape can be used outdoors due to things like temperature and moisture. You might also want to consider using outdoor tape for indoor projects if the environment calls for it.
- Surface: Another important aspect to consider when purchasing tape is the surface you plan to stick it on. Not all tape works on all surfaces, so you need to check the compatible surfaces before you buy mounting tape.
- Duration: How long do you want the tape to last? Permanent tape can be removed, but it leaves residue and can be a pain. Moreover, it might be so difficult to get off that it damages surfaces. If you want something temporary, there are options for that, so keep duration in mind.
There are other things to consider as well, such as how long you need the tape to be and what you plan on using it to mount. After all, you need to make sure the tape you choose can handle the item you wish to mount.
Mounting tape is very useful, and it can do a lot of things that other mounting options cannot. For instance, it can hang an item without damaging the surface as a nail or screw would. However, before you purchase mounting tape, make sure to consider everything, especially whether it can handle the weight of the project you are giving it.
Other Products You May Need
- Add Related Articles Here